Header Ads

Actor and television presenter Lawrence Maleka heats up Isibaya

The host of Mzansi Magic's recently-ended Clash of the Choirs says "it's three-times as good" as the music competition show has had one of its most successful seasons ever.
Famous as the presenter of Ithuba's Lotto Powerball betting draw on Tuesday and Friday nights, Maleka is already setting Mzansi Magic's soapie Isibaya alight as Thandeka's new love interest.
Maleka, 25, says he so much yearned to be on TV that he wanted to study at the National School of the Arts in Braamfontein, Johannesburg, but his family could not afford it.
"I've always been a TV enthusiast. I used to be critical of what I saw on TV as I thought I could do better."
Then Soweto TV finally came to Maleka's rescue. It was not such a struggle to get in as he showed so much potential. He presented four shows, including The Gadget Show and Ziyamporoma.
"Three months after auditioning in the early 2000s I was called back, but was told there was nothing available yet.
"That was when I decided to camp at the studios in Orlando West until I got a show."
Maleka also tried his hand at the SABC1 actuality show Selimathunzi but did not make the grade, ending as runner-up to Lunga Shabalala.
In 2012 Africa Magic was his next destination with the flagship Star Gist, a DStv entertainment show with a broadcast footprint in more than 15 African countries.
"It was a popular show. I didn't know that until I got to Nigeria and Ghana. People were clamouring for my attention. I was the guest of popular African stars in music and the TV world, I hosted stars like D'Banj, AKA and Ice Prince.
"I was nominated for African music awards. It was humbling that my work resonated with the rest of the continent.
"I was in and out of the country as the show's numbers swelled. But I wanted acceptance in my own country and didn't want to rush into anything international. I began to study the local entertainment market through the Broad Market Index, then last year Ithuba approached me."
With Clash of the Choirs concluded, his next big thing will be to cause ructions on Isibaya as Don Webster

Read: Minnie Dlamini To Host SETA Awards

Source: SundayWorld

No comments:

Theme images by rami_ba. Powered by Blogger.